This is the site of a Roman Bridge, where Ermine Street crossed the River Nene allowing people and livestock to travel from the North Gate of the town of Durobrivae to the industrial areas over the river and onwards to Lincoln, York and Hadrian’s Wall. The bridge was built as a wooden structure set on stone piers. It must have been very strong to hold lots of traffic including horses and carts, chariots, legions of soldiers and people transporting their everyday wares.
The stone piers were discovered in the 1920’s when the River Nene was dredged.
An artist’s impression of what the Roman Town of Durobrivae may have looked like from Castor.