The Praetorium, was located on the hill in Castor close to the Church, it was a huge palatial structure. It is thought to have been an important Roman administrative base with likely connections to the nearby Roman town of Durobrivae.
An illustration by Edmund Artis with St. Kyneburgha church, Castor in the background.
In the 1920’s Edmund Artis excavated the site and published a volume of illustrations about his finds. There were at least eleven rooms with tessellated floors and mosaics, at least two bathhouses and several hypocausts.
An artist's impression of the Roman Praetorium.
By the 5th century the Praetorium had been abandoned, until the 7th century when it is thought to have been the site of the Nunnery of St. Kyneburgha.
For more information visit
Castor Church Trust